Special COVID-19 renewal options
Your work as an addiction professional is essential to our society. The Coronavirus (COVID-19) has affected us all, and many AOD/SUD professionals have lost jobs or had hours significantly reduced.
For those renewing your Breining Institute credentials now through September 30, 2020, here are some options:
- ON TIME RENEWAL: If you are renewing on-time, you will only pay $100 to renew all of your credentials. You may renew credentials up to one year before your renewal date.
- RENEWAL FEE DEFERRAL: If you are renewing on-time and would like to defer your renewal payment, we will renew you now to October 1, 2020 for no cost. Then, when you renew on or after October 1, 2020, it will be at the regular renewal fee rates.
- LATE RENEWAL: If you are renewing late, we will waive all late fees, and allow you to renew all of your credentials before October 1, 2020 for a total of $150. If you renew your late renewal on or after October 1, 2020, all regular late charges will apply.
You will be able to select the best option for you in the Online Renewal form, at this link: Online Credential Renewal Application
We hope this is helpful to you.
Stay safe. Stay healthy. Keep up your good work in this honorable profession.
The U.S. Department of Labor projects that employment of substance abuse, behavioral disorder and mental health counselors will grow 20 percent from 2016 to 2026, “much faster than average” for all occupations. (Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2017 Edition.)
Breining Institute credentials are held by healthcare professionals located in 49 U.S. States, 20 countries, and are held by U.S. Armed Forces personnel located throughout the world. Select this link to see what some Breining Institute students, graduates, and professional credential recipients have shared about their respective experiences in this challenging, but rewarding, profession: IN YOUR WORDS
RAS Career Path
- The Registered Addiction Specialist (RAS) Credential is held by addiction professionals in 47 U.S. States and 18 countries.
- Opportunity for Advanced Level RAS Credentials, such as RAS II, RAS III and the M-RAS, is available with more education and experience.
- Reciprocity / Exam Waiver for addiction professionals who have passed qualifying alternative exam.
Exam Waiver / Reciprocity
Candidates for the RAS Credential will not be required to take the ACE Exam if they already hold a State-approved license or certification, or have passed one of the following alternative acceptable exams:
- National Certified Addiction Counselor (NCAC) Exam, Level I or II, administered by National Association of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC); or
- Alcohol and Drug Counselor (ADC) or Advanced Alcohol and Drug Counselor (AADC) Exam, administered by International Certification & Reciprocity Consortium (ICRC).
Breining Institute advanced specialty certifications are available to qualifying addiction professionals and health care professionals with underlying certification or license, and can be earned by completing online specialist courses.
Substance Abuse Counselor Masters Credentials
Both the Masters Level – Registered Addiction Specialist (M-RAS) and Master Counselor in Addictions (MCA) Credentials are available to counselors with an underlying certification or license, advanced experience and education.
The qualifying exams to earn these Credentials are available worldwide. You may qualify for an Exam Waiver if you have already passed the ACE, RAS, CATC, NCAC, or ADC Exams.
Substance Use Disorders (SUD) Counselor Certification in California
California law requires individuals providing alcohol and other drug (AOD) counseling services in a State-licensed program to be registered and hold entry-level certification with a State-approved agency.
Once you hold the entry-level certification, you may then be eligible for the Breining Institute nationally-administered RAS and Specialty Credentials.
More information available at this link: California SUD Career Track
- INTERNATIONAL VERIFICATION of Breining Institute-issued credentials, held by healthcare professionals located in 49 U.S. States, in 20 countries, and by U.S. Armed Forces personnel located throughout the world, is available at this link: International Credential Verification (ICV) System
SPECIAL NOTE TO CALIFORNIA COUNSELORS:
California law requires individuals providing AOD counseling services in a State-licensed program to be registered and hold entry-level certification with a State-approved agency. To confirm registration and/or certification by State-approved agencies, please visit their respective websites:
– California Association of DUI Treatment Programs (CADTP): www.cadtp.org
– California Association for Alcohol / Drug Educators (CAADE): www.caade.org
– California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP): www.ccapp.us
All Breining-certified professionals need to renew their credentials every two years. The number of continuing education (CE) required is at least 40-hours every two years, and CE coursework may be obtained from any legitimate source, including Breining’s online CE courses.
You may renew your credential(s) up to one year prior to your renewal date.
Use the link below to use the online renewal form for all credentials:
Here are a couple of links to help you complete your continuing education (CE) requirement:
- Breining online Continuing Education (CE) courses
- Breining Institute Accredited (BIA) education programs
Request for Duplicate Credential Certificate
Breining Institute provides a display-worthy Certificate to new credential holders, upon the initial issuance of each new credential, at no extra charge to the credential holder, which is sent to the credential holder by U.S. Postal Mail or equivalent service.
If an individual credential holder wishes a duplicate of the original certificate, with a current renewal date displayed, Breining will be pleased to provide such, upon receipt of the Request for Duplicate Credential Certificate form and $75 processing fee payment for each certificate ordered.
Certification Document Request
Applicants for Breining Institute Credentials are required to send documentation of education, experience, and other documents to verify their eligibility. Applicants are typically expected to send copies to Breining Institute, and to retain their own original documents, except in the case of original / official transcripts of formal education.
If an individual who has been awarded a Credential from Breining Institute would like a copy of specific documents that they have previously submitted to or that are held by Breining Institute, upon application and payment of the research fee, we will conduct a search of our files and send copies of the specified documents found to the individual.
Online Specialist Credential Courses
- Clinical Supervisor Education Course: 40-hour course
- Women’s Treatment Counselor Education Course: 40-hour course
- Co-occurring Disorders Education Course: 40-hour course
- MAT Counselor Education Course: 40-hour course
- Forensic Counselor Education Course: 40-hour course
Registered Service Marks of Breining Institute
These credentials are registered service marks, and may only be used by professionals who have been awarded these credentials by Breining Institute:
“Registered Addiction Specialist” and “RAS” credentials: Service Mark Reg. No. 65739, Class Number 41
“Clinical Supervisor Credential” and “CSC” credentials: Service Mark Reg. No. 66826, Class Number 41
“Master Counselor in Addictions” and “MCA” credentials: Service Mark Reg. No. 66746, Class Number 41
“Medication-Assisted Treatment Counselor” and “MATC” credentials: Service Mark Reg. No. 66622, Class Number 41
“Forensic Addictions Counselor” and “FAC” credentials: Service Mark Reg. No. 66627, Class Number 41
“Certified Co-occurring Disorders Specialist” and “CCDS” credentials: Service Mark Reg. No. 67864, Class Number 41
“Certified Women’s Treatment Specialist” and “CWTS” credentials: Service Mark Reg. No. 67863, Class Number 41
“Certified Case Manager Interventionist” and “CCMI” credentials: Service Mark Reg. No. 121265, Class Number 41; “CCMI” Service Mark Reg. No. 5,560,295, United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), Ser. No. 87-778,904, Class Number 41
“Addiction Counselor Exam” and “ACE” are registered marks of Breining Institute: Service Mark Reg. Nos. 68184, 304796, Class Number 41