Breining Institute credentials are held by addiction professionals in 47 U.S. States and 14 countries.
3 years general AOD/SUD experience,
1 year experience as an AOD/SUD program supervisor (may be included in general AOD/SUD experience), and
Complete 40-hour online Clinical Supervisor Education Course (CSEC).
No application fee.
No membership dues.
Renewal is every 2 years.
Qualifications for the Clinical Supervisor Credential (CSC)
The Clinical Supervisor Credential (CSC) is available to individuals with an underlying addiction professional license or certification from a State-approved or recognized, or nationally-recognized, licensing or certification agency, when they meet the CSC standards and document their eligibility. There are no application fees to be granted the CSC.
Submit your application using the Online Application Form. Before the application is considered complete, we will need to receive all of the applicable documents requested. If you are unable to upload the documents using the Online Application Form, send the documents to us by email, FAX or by postal mail.
You will need to document the following:
- CURRENT CERTIFICATION OR LICENSE
- Must hold current addiction professional license or certification from a State-approved or recognized, or nationally-recognized, licensing or certification agency
- EDUCATION: 40-HOUR CLINICAL SUPERVISOR COURSE
- Complete the Breining Institute 40-hour online Clinical Supervisor Education Course (CSEC)
- Three years full time or 6,000 hours clinical experience in general alcohol and other drug / substance use disorders (AOD/SUD) counseling; and,
- One year full time (or 2,000 hours) as an AOD/SUD supervisor.
- PLEASE NOTE: Your hours as an AOD/SUD supervisor may be included in your general AOD/SUD experience.
- Have a qualified employer representative complete and submit the online Clinical Experience Verification Form in order to submit the information directly to Breining Institute
- PROFESSIONAL REFERENCE
- One reference from a supervisor of your work, or from a colleague in the same field who knows of your work
- Have a qualified supervisor or professional colleague complete and submit the online Professional Reference Form in order to submit the reference directly to Breining Institute
Acceptable Substitutes for Experience Requirement
The minimum clinical and/or supervisor experience required is 2,000 hours (or 1 year)
Acceptable substitutes for up to 4,000 hours of experience may include a degree or teaching –
A degree in addiction studies or the healing arts may substitute as follows:
AA or AS degree may substitute for 2,000 hours of clinical experience
BA or BS, MA or MS, or Doctorate degree may substitute for 4,000 hours of clinical experience
Experience teaching a course or courses within an AOD/SUD program:
Ten hours of Clinical Experience credited for each One hour of class taught
- Every two years
- Continuing Education (CE) requirement every two years is 40 hours of CE, including 6 hours of CE in Clinical Supervision knowledge and/or skills
To verify whether someone has been awarded the CSC Credential from Breining Institute, select the following link to the International Certified / Credentialed Counselors (CCCo) database: International CCCo Verification
Registered Service Marks
These credentials are registered service marks of Breining Institute, and may only be used by professionals who have been awarded these credentials by Breining Institute:
“Clinical Supervisor Credential” and “CSC” credentials: Service Mark Reg. No. 66826, Class Number 41