The U.S. Department of Labor projects that employment of substance abuse, behavioral disorder and mental health counselors will grow 20 percent from 2016 to 2026, “much faster than average” for all occupations. (Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2017 Edition.)
Select this link to see what some Breining Institute students, graduates, and professional credential recipients, located in 47 U.S. States and 22 countries, have shared about their respective experiences in this challenging, but rewarding, profession: IN YOUR WORDS
RAS Career Path
- The Registered Addiction Specialist (RAS) Credential is held by addiction professionals in 47 U.S. States and 18 countries.
- Opportunity for Advanced Level RAS Credentials, such as RAS II, RAS III and the M-RAS, is available with more education and experience.
- Reciprocity / Exam Waiver for addiction professionals who have passed qualifying alternative exam.
Exam Waiver / Reciprocity
Candidates for the RAS Credential will not be required to take the ACE Exam if they already hold a State-approved license or certification, or have passed one of the following alternative acceptable exams:
- National Certified Addiction Counselor (NCAC) Exam, Level I or II, administered by National Association of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC); or
- Alcohol and Drug Counselor (ADC) or Advanced Alcohol and Drug Counselor (AADC) Exam, administered by International Certification & Reciprocity Consortium (ICRC).
Here is a short video which explains the Reciprocity program:
Breining Institute advanced specialty certifications are available to qualifying addiction professionals and health care professionals with underlying certification or license, and can be earned by completing online specialist courses.
Substance Abuse Counselor Masters Credentials
Both the Masters Level – Registered Addiction Specialist (M-RAS) and Master Counselor in Addictions (MCA) Credentials are available to counselors with an underlying certification or license, advanced experience and education.
The qualifying exams to earn these Credentials are available daily at over 500 test centers located throughout the United States and Canada. You may qualify for an Exam Waiver if you have already passed the ACE, RAS, CATC, NCAC, or ADC Exams.
Substance Use Disorders (SUD) Counselor Certification in California
California law requires individuals providing alcohol and other drug (AOD) counseling services in a State-licensed program to be registered and hold entry-level certification with a State-approved agency.
Once you hold the entry-level certification, you may then be eligible for the Breining Institute nationally-administered RAS and Specialty Credentials.
More information available at this link: California SUD Career Track
- INTERNATIONAL VERIFICATION of Breining Institute certified / credentialed addiction professionals, located in 47 U.S. States and 18 countries is available at this link: International Credential Verification (ICV) System
SPECIAL NOTE TO CALIFORNIA COUNSELORS:
California law requires individuals providing AOD counseling services in a State-licensed program to be registered and hold entry-level certification with a State-approved agency. To confirm registration and/or certification by State-approved agencies, please visit their respective websites:
– California Association of DUI Treatment Programs (CADTP): www.cadtp.org
– California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP): www.ccapp.us
– California Association for Alcohol / Drug Educators (CAADE) (State-approval through November 30, 2017): www.caade.org
All Breining-certified professionals need to renew their credentials every two years. The number of continuing education (CE) required is at least 40-hours every two years, and CE coursework may be obtained from any legitimate source, including Breining’s online CE courses.
You may renew your credential(s) up to one year prior to your renewal date.
Use the link below to use the online renewal form for all credentials:
Here are a couple of links to help you complete your continuing education (CE) requirement:
- Breining online Continuing Education (CE) courses
- Breining Institute Accredited (BIA) education programs
Request for Duplicate Credential Certificate
Breining Institute provides a display-worthy Certificate to new credential holders, upon the initial issuance of each new credential, at no extra charge to the credential holder, which is sent to the credential holder by U.S. Postal Mail or equivalent service.
If an individual credential holder wishes a duplicate of the original certificate, with a current renewal date displayed, Breining will be pleased to provide such, upon receipt of the Request for Duplicate Credential Certificate form and $75 processing fee payment for each certificate ordered.
Online Specialist Credential Courses
- Clinical Supervisor Education Course: 40-hour course
- Women’s Treatment Counselor Education Course: 40-hour course
- Co-occurring Disorders Education Course: 40-hour course
- MAT Counselor Education Course: 40-hour course
- Forensic Counselor Education Course: 40-hour course
Registered Service Marks of Breining Institute
These credentials are registered service marks, and may only be used by professionals who have been awarded these credentials by Breining Institute:
“Registered Addiction Specialist” and “RAS” credentials: Service Mark Reg. No. 65739, Class Number 41
“Clinical Supervisor Credential” and “CSC” credentials: Service Mark Reg. No. 66826, Class Number 41
“Master Counselor in Addictions” and “MCA” credentials: Service Mark Reg. No. 66746, Class Number 41
“Medication-Assisted Treatment Counselor” and “MATC” credentials: Service Mark Reg. No. 66622, Class Number 41
“Forensic Addictions Counselor” and “FAC” credentials: Service Mark Reg. No. 66627, Class Number 41
“Certified Co-occurring Disorders Specialist” and “CCDS” credentials: Service Mark Reg. No. 67864, Class Number 41
“Certified Women’s Treatment Specialist” and “CWTS” credentials: Service Mark Reg. No. 67863, Class Number 41
“Certified Case Manager Interventionist” and “CCMI” credentials: Service Mark Reg. No. 121265, Class Number 41